Campers & Families: Welcome, the Fun Starts Here.
Eat. Sleep. Camp. That’s what we do.
Our camp programs provide life-changing experiences for children with serious health challenges and their families, free of charge. The heart of our program is summer sleepaway camp. Offered June through August, we welcome children ages 7–17 to our beautiful fully accessible camp in Pinckney, Michigan.
With traditional outdoor camp activities like archery, boating, campfires, fishing, nature and swimming, our campers bond with others who have shared the experience of serious illness and learn they are capable of much more than they ever thought possible.
We also offer weekend Family Camp programming in the spring and the fall for families with children ages 0–17. Aside from the fun, our Family Camp programs are designed to build relationships with and receive support from other families who understand what it means to raise children with serious health challenges. In between all the fun, there’s also the eating and sleeping part. As we like to say: Eat. Sleep. Camp. All in a medically-sound environment. This is what we do. Camp hasn’t changed, you have just never seen it like this.
To apply for Summer Camp or a Family Camp, complete the information on the online application websites by clicking the buttons below.
Summer Camp Applications Please Note: We are continuing to accept applications for all sessions. Completed applications (application, medical forms, insurance information, immunizations) are being reviewed and accepted as space is available otherwise completed applicants will be placed on a waiting list when necessary.
We recommend you review the following instructions before submitting your application:
- Apply to Summer Camp 2019 Instructions | CampDoc website (view PDF)
- Apply to Family Camp 2019 Instructions | UltraCamp website (view PDF)
2019 Family Camp Schedule
Spring Family Camp
- April 26 – 28: Cardiology/General Session Family Camp
- May 10 – 12: Palliative Care/General Session Family Camp
- May 17 – 19: Neuro-Oncology/General Session Family Camp
- June 17 – 22: Transplant (Michitanki) Camp
- June 27 – 30: Solstice Camp (for campers aged 16 & 17 who have a diagnosis associated with one of our summer camp sessions)
- July 8 – 13: Cardiology Camp
- July 20 – 24: Epilepsy (Camp Discovery) Camp
- July 31 – August 5: Sickle Cell/Hematology/Pain Management Camp
- August 12 – 17: Sibling Camp (for brothers and sisters of a North Star Reach summer camper)
Fall Family Camp
- September 27 – 29: Sickle Cell/Hematology/Pain Management/General Family Camp
- October 11 – 13: Transplant/General Session Family Camp
- October 25 – 27: Epilepsy/General Session Family Camp
- November 1 – 3: Dance Marathon at the University of Michigan Family Camp
The Children We Serve
Our state-of-the-art health center, known as The Observatory, is staffed by nurses, physicians and other medical professionals, including volunteers practicing in the local area and others recruited from our 12 medical partners. The medical support we provide allows children with complex healthcare needs to come to camp, often for the first time. Since we opened in 2016, we have served more than 1,000 children with serious health challenges and their family members.
A great place to learn more about all our camp programs: visit our Experience Camp page, where you’ll find terrific videos and audio stories from past seasons. Or, stop by our 100 Summer Moments page to read and watch stories specifically about our 2017 summer season.
Our program goals work toward fostering adventure and exploration, developing a positive self-identity and building friendships. We call it an Authentic Camp Experience (ACE). Creating transforming camp experiences for children with serious illness and their families requires talented and generous volunteers. How we make this all happen is the secret. We like to call it “mooseness”. To experience the magic of mooseness, we invite you to come join us at North Star Reach.
Frequently Asked Questions
Before you apply, we encourage you to learn about our summer camp and family programs by visiting our FAQ page.
Apply to Camp
If you’d like to receive our monthly newsletter, you can sign up here.